To be a GLAPros member, you must actively participate in your job search. The following are reasons why you should join GLAPros, what the requirements of all GLAPros members are, and how to join GLAPros.
1. To access the "hidden job market": Most positions at the professional level are filled through the "grapevine". Candidates need personal contacts to uncover opportunities in the hidden job market. A successful job search cannot be conducted in isolation.
2. To build professional relationships: GLAPros members, through active participation at GLAPros, develop an increased professional information and support network. GLAPros members refer each other to industry contacts, share valuable industry and technical information, keep each other accountable and motivated in their job search, and frequently hire one another!
3. To continuously meet new contacts: New GLAPros members are enrolled once each month. Our members therefore have the opportunity to meet someone new almost every time they come to GLAPros for meetings, workshops, and other activities. During a member's 24-month membership term, a member has an opportunity to regularly interact with hundreds of professionals from a diversity of industries and functions, and to expand her/his professional network for continued career resilience.
4. To contact working GLAPros alumni: GLAPros has hundreds of alumni working in companies throughout Greater Los Angeles. These alumni help current GLAPros members in their search for company information and employment opportunities. GLAPros alumni often check our web site for current Member Profiles when their companies are hiring.
GLAPros is a member-driven organization. Therefore, GLAPros requires the following from its members:
1. Volunteer hours: As GLAPros members essentially "run" GLAPros by operating and maintaining all GLAPros activities, members are required to provide a minimum of 4 hours volunteer service each week. Members should be available to spend at least 2 days per week engaged in GLAPros activities. The ability to participate actively in GLAPros allows professional job seekers to interact with each other, and is unmatched by any other resource in the Greater Los Angeles Area. Members have found active participation valuable, and some GLAPros alumni even continue to contribute their expertise by providing assistance to current GLAPros members. If you would like to view a diagram of the GLAPros Committees that you can join to provide support and service, please reference the About Us tab/link from the menu and print the page if needed.
2. Weekly meetings: Members must attend two GLAPros meetings each week - the Thursday General Meeting plus the meeting of your selected committee. Attending these "working" meetings in addition to attending the GLAPros workshops offers members ongoing opportunities to become familiar with each other's job search needs and careers goals, and to assist each other to attain these goals.